Thursday, April 11, 2013

Korean Vocabularly Learning


But I know it's maybe too little to only rely on context-based learning.
I'm currently trying a new method I thought of.
I have Korean classes every Monday and I always write down new words but I never actually sat down to study them (as I said, not a vocab cramming fan...). Some of the words I write down are not so "important" or handy for me. So now I decided to choose 14 words every week out of all the words I wrote down (normally I write down more), then I roughly list them in order of difficulty. I also include phrases if they're proverbs or help me understand sentence structure or grammar.

I assign the two most difficult words for Monday, the 2nd most difficult words for Tuesday and so on until Sunday.
On Monday I learn only those two words. On Tuesday I repeat Monday's words and add the two from Tuesday and so on until on Sunday I repeat all 14 words.
I go through the words whenever I have a few minutes of spare time (say waiting for the bus).
I try not to look at the paper to know which words I have to repeat, I have to recall them by heart (this also trains my memory in general). Having to recall the words like this will hopefully help me knowing the words actively not only passively.

I only have two words per day which are 14/week. I thought when assinging too many I might end up not learning any and 14/week is better than not learning them at all.
I might try to use three/day (21/week).

I guess it's a good way when you have little time to constantly learn at least a bit.
2 words a day are over 700 words a year, :)

Dunno whether this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment