Monday, March 25, 2013

Teachers stories: Madia Ueckermann


Teachers stories: Madia Ueckermann

http://www.saykimchirecruiting.com/teachers-stories-madia-ueckermann/

2012-09-03 10.39.07
Say Kimchi Recruiting spent some time with Madia to find out more about her experience in South Korea.

SKR: Madia, please tell us a little more about yourself and how you came to teach in South Korea?

M: I never thought I would end up in Korea as an English teacher, but it was the best decision I could have made! One of my friends went over about 2 years ago and I often read her updates about her experiences, and so I decided to go for it as well!

I am a very adaptable person who loves experiencing new things and getting out of my comfort zone, which made it easy to adapt to the culture when I first got there.

SKR: How did you adapt to the culture?

M: Well I went there and expected the worst, but it wasn’t half as bad or as difficult as I thought it would be. I’m OK with stepping out of my comfort zone and since I knew that I had to get used to living in a whole other world than what I’m used to, I embraced it. Yet it wasn’t always that easy… many things about the culture don’t make sense to me (and I don’t think I’ll ever understand why Koreans do certain things). Guess it’s just one of those things – it’s their country, so just go with it.

SKR: Madia and South Korea…

M: Got along pretty well I think . Once you open yourself up to a new culture, you learn to embrace it. I learned to love Korea and its people. I felt welcomed and most people were very kind towards me, which I appreciated! There were bad days and there were good days, but overall, living in Korea for a year was an amazing experience!

SKR: What was your relationship like with Say Kimchi Recruiting?

M: I was very happy with Say Kimchi Recruiting! They helped me with everything and I really appreciated the effort they put into helping me find a good job. I’d recommend them any time!

SKR: Any advice for recruits wanting to go teach in South Korea?

Make sure you’re getting a job at a good school. Try to find some references or testimonials about the school (if it’s a private institution/hagwon).Get out there and meet people. Almost all cities’ foreign communities have a Facebook page – join it, find out what’s happening where and make friends!Go with an open mind and embrace the culture… it may not be for everyone, but the whole experience sure is worth it!

Want to teach in South Korea? Please email amy@saykimchirecruiting.com for more information or visit our website at www.saykimchirecruiting.com to apply online.

No comments:

Post a Comment