Wednesday, March 27, 2013

and, with / 하고, (이)랑

TTMIK Level 2 Lesson 4
and, with / 하고, ()

Lesson Notes
In the previous lesson, one of the words that we introduced was 그리고, which
means “and” and is used to link both nouns and phrases. But 그리고 is not the only word in
Korean that means “and”. In fact there are many different ways to say “and” in Korean. We are
going to introduce two more in this lesson.
하고 = and
** 하고 is used like a particle and attached right after a noun without space.
Example
이거 = this, this thing
이거하고 이거 = this and this
이거하고 이거 주세요. = Give me this and this.
()= and
** If a noun ends in a vowel, you use after it and if it ends with a final consonant, you use
이랑, to make it easier to pronounce.
** ()and 하고 are almost always interchangeable, but ()is more colloquial and
casual, so ()is not very commonly used in very formal settings.



Example
우유 = milk
= bread
우유랑 빵 = milk and bread
우유랑 빵 샀어요. = I bought milk and bread.



Another meaning of 하고 and ()
Both 하고 and ()are used to mean “and” and connect nouns, but depending on the context, it can also mean “with”. And it is usually very easy to tell which meaning it takes.
친구하고 영화 봤어요.
= I saw a movie with a friend.
** Note that it’s unlikely that this sentence means “I watched [a friend and a movie].”
누구랑 갔어요?
= Who did you go with?



If you want to make your meaning much more clear, you can add the word 같이 after
하고 or (). 같이 means “together” so 하고 같이 or ()랑 같이 means “together with”.
So while 친구하고 영화 봤어요. makes perfect sense, if you say 친구하고 같이 영화 봤어
, it’s even better. The same goes for 누구랑 갔어요? and 누구랑 같이 갔어요?



More sample sentences by our friends!
경미: 남자친구하고 데이트할 거예요.
= I’m going to go on a date with my boyfriend.
경미: 매운 거랑 단 거 좋아해요.
= I like spicy foods and sweet foods.
석진: 대통령하고 춤을 출 거예요.
= I’m going to dance with the President.
석진: 선생님하고 밥을 먹을 거예요.
= I’m going to eat with my teacher.
영주: 내일 선생님하고 경복궁에 갈 거예요.
= I’m going to go to 경복 Palace with my teacher tomorrow.
영주: 어제 홍대하고 신촌에 갔어요.
= I went to 홍대 and 신촌 yesterday.
** 홍대 and 신촌 are both popular hang out spots for young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment